Wauchula began as a little settlement around Fort Hartsuff, established just before the Third Seminole War. It was called "English", the name of its most industrious storekeeper who then helped bring the railroad to town in 1886. It was then given its present name by the Florida Southern Railroad itself--- not by any Seminoles---, as it pushed south along the Peace River valley.
Wauchula at first played second fiddle to its neighbor to the south, Zolfo Springs, where the G.W. Scott Fertilizer Works was a pioneer in the development of Florida's phosphate industry. But Wauchula soon outgrew its rival and, in 1921, was voted county seat to the newly-formed Hardee County.
By then, Wauchula had become the center of agricultural activities ranging from orange groves to cattle-raising. For a while, it advertized itself as the "Cucumber Capital of the World."
More recently, the town and county have embarked upon a program of redevelopment--- witness the renaissance of downtown.
Wauchula City Hall Home of Governor Albert Carlton